Saturday, September 7, 2013

Growing Pains

September 7, 2013

I don't think I've mentioned we now have four elders living at the villa with us.  Our number of missionaries increases with each transfer, but the number of available apartments doesn't.  We got 19 new missionaries this week, but only 5 returned home so we had a net gain of 14.  It seems logical that we could just go out and rent apartments to house them, but it doesn't work that way here.  In America you can rent an apartment that is move-in ready in a day or two.  In Italy it's a very different process.  Apartments are difficult to find and when you do find them all they are is a shell--no appliances, cupboards, or even light fixtures.  We have to arrange to have them completely fitted before the missionaries can move in.  Also, there's a big, long legal process that must be completed before you can even start to renovate.  It can take months to get an apartment.  In the meantime, we are letting four of the missionaries in Rome live with us to help ease the problem.  They seem to like the idea, but I'm sure it won't be  too long before they tire of hearing me tell them I don't want any messes and everything has to be perfect.  I never know when I am going to have a General Authority walk into the villa.  I don't want to be embarrassed when it happens.  In fact, we have one coming today.


No comments:

Post a Comment