Saturday, November 30, 2013

Serving to the very end . . .

November 29, 2013

Three of the five departing missionaries had to leave the villa by 5:15 am.  It was an early morning for everyone.  The remaining two didn't depart until later that afternoon.

It's cold and drizzling rain most of the time in Rome these days.  It's perfect soup weather.  Maybe it's just us, but we haven't seen much zuppa (soup) in Italy.  A couple of weeks ago we were in Palermo and stopped at a restaurant to have a bite to eat on the way back to the hotel.  They had zucca rossa zuppa  (red squash soup) on the menu.  It was delicious.  Consequently, I decided to try to replicate the recipe.  Michael and I found a red zucca rossa at the market by the villa and decided to try it.  Please don't ask for the recipe.  I had a couple of recipes, but the ingredients are all different here.  I did the best I could with what I had on hand.  It turned out nasty.

The senior couples and young missionaries are often invited to member's homes where they learn to cook like the Italians.  We are always on the road doing zone conferences and aren't able to do that.  Just the other day my daughter said she sure hoped I was learning to make some killer lasagna and I told her not to hold her breath.

Anyway, back to the departing missionaries.  The two who were still at the villa that morning helped me cut up the squash and get it ready to cook.  They literally served to the very end!







No comments:

Post a Comment